Monday 14 October 2013

Canadian Adventure: Victoria and Whistler

During the last two days of our trip we visited Victoria for some whale watching, and drove Route 99 to Whistler.

Unfortunately, the weather had turned by then, so we had a rather soggy sea plane ride from Vancouver to Victoria. If you know me, you will know that I am a terrible traveller (I'm a fainter and get travel sick) so I'm not really the top of anyone's travelling companion list. I must admit, I've never felt so travel sick in my life and don't have any desire to go on a sea plane again. Judging by the look on Dad's face as he was sitting next to me, I don't think he wants to take me on one either!





But we made it and had a cooked breakfast before our whale watching boat trip. The weather was very wet by this point so most people stayed under cover in the boat, but all of the Brits decided to be very stubborn and stick it out on the top of the boat until the bitter end! We saw two humpback whales, which were very impressive, but then the sea became very rough so we had to head back early. Whiter shade of pale is an understatement!





After a little respite on land, it was back to the dreaded sea plane for our return journey to Vancouver (made it!). We then drove in a hire car to Whistler in the evening.

The following morning we visited The Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre. This one was a bit more of a living history museum and we had an amazing tour guide who was a real character, telling us all about how the First Nations people are continuing their traditions today. We even had a go at making cedar bark rope!





It was then time for us to drive to the airport, so we drove back along Route 99, this time in daylight so that we could take in all of the breathtaking views. A great way to end an amazing trip!









No comments:

Post a Comment